For the purposes of the Data Protection Act 1998 the data controller is the European Society of Coloproctology, a company incorporated in Scotland under company number SC205553 and having its registered office at The Coach House, 7 St Albans Road, Edinburgh EH9 2PA.
When you visit our site www.escp.eu.com (our site), you may provide us with two types of information:-
- personal information that you knowingly choose to disclose, which is collected on an individual basis and
- general user information that does not contain personally identifiable information, which is collected on an aggregate basis as you browse our site.
In some cases, if you choose not to provide us with the requested information, you may not be able to access all of our site’s contents and services.
We may ask for certain personal information from you for the purpose of providing to you content and/or services that you request. For example:-
- You may provide us with details about yourself so that we can send you information about our services. This includes information provided at the time of registering to use our site, subscribing to our service, posting material or requesting further services, including signing up to an email newsletter. The details we ask for vary with the products and services that you request. The relevant on-line entry page will give you more information about how we might use and share those details and your choices.
- If you wish to purchase a membership of the ESCP through our site, you may need to provide us with information so that we can complete that transaction, including your debit or credit card information.
- You may be asked to disclose personal information to us so that we can provide assistance and information to you. For example, we may collect personal information from you (such as an e-mail address, system information and problem descriptions) in order to provide online technical support and troubleshooting.
- We may also ask you to complete surveys that we use for research purposes, although you do not have to respond to them.
For the same reasons, we may obtain information about your general internet usage by using a cookie file which is stored on your browser or the hard drive of your computer. Cookies contain information that is transferred to your computer's hard drive. They help us to improve our site and to deliver a better and more personalised service. Some of the cookies we use are essential for the site to operate.
Cookies are widely used in order to make websites work, or work more efficiently, as well as to provide information to the owners of the site.
Except for essential cookies, all cookies will expire after 24 hours.
The information that we collect from you may be transferred to, and stored at, a destination outside the European Economic Area (EEA). It may also be processed by staff operating outside the EEA who work for us or for one of our suppliers. Such staff may be engaged in, among other things, the fulfilment of your order, the processing of your payment details and the provision of support services. By submitting your personal information, you agree to this transfer, storing or processing.
All information you provide to us is stored on our secure servers. Any payment transactions will be encrypted using SSL technology. Where we have given you (or where you have chosen) a password which enables you to access certain parts of our site, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share a password with anyone.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal information, we cannot guarantee the security of your information transmitted to our site; any transmission is at your own risk. Once we have received your information, we will use strict procedures and security features to try to prevent unauthorised access.
We use information held about you in the following ways:-
- To ensure that content from our site is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer.
- To provide you with information, products or services that you request from us or which we feel may interest you, where you have consented to be contacted for such purposes.
- To carry out our obligations arising from any contracts entered into between you and us.
- To allow you to participate in interactive features of our service, when you choose to do so.
- To notify you about changes to our service.
We may also use your information, or permit selected third parties (including, without limitation, companies within our group) to use your information, to provide you with information about goods and services which may be of interest to you and we or they may contact you about these by post and telephone.
Where we permit selected third parties to use your information, we (or they) will contact you by electronic means only if you have consented to this.
If you do not want us to use your information in this way, or to pass your details on to third parties for marketing purposes, please tick the relevant box situated on the form on which we collect your information (the membership registration form).
If you visit our site and volunteer personally identifiable information, you may modify, correct or update such information at any time by visiting www.escp.eu.com where you will have the opportunity to access and revise certain of your personally identifiable information and to update your preferences regarding what information you want to receive from us. You can do this by editing your profile through logging onto the site.
We may disclose your personal information to any member of our group, which means any subsidiaries, or ultimate holding company and it’s subsidiaries, as defined in section 1159 of the UK Companies Act 2006.
We may disclose your personal information to third parties:-
- In the event that we sell or buy any business or assets, in which case we may disclose your personal information to the prospective seller or buyer of such business or assets.
- If we or substantially all of our assets are acquired by a third party, in which case personal information held by us about our customers will be one of the transferred assets.
Our site may, from time to time, contain links to and from the websites of partner networks, advertisers and affiliates. If you follow a link to any of these websites, please note that these websites have their own privacy policies and that we do not accept any responsibility or liability for these policies. Please check these policies before you submit any personal information to these websites.
We are committed to working with your to answer any questions or address any issues you may have about your privacy.
You have the right to request details of the information held by us about you. Any such request may be subject to a fee of £10 to meet our costs in providing you with details of the information we hold about you.
At any time you may ask us to correct or update any of your information.
Data Protection Compliance Officer
The European Society of Coloproctology
The Coach House
7 St Albans Road